Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Clicking Crank

Here I am again back in chem lecture and it is about to start. I am happy to report I didn't have any water/flat related problems on the way to math this morning. Although one of the bolts connecting my crank to the bottom bracket broke off. It didn't fall out, it literally broke off. Half the bolt is still screwed into my crank, but the part of the bolt connecting it to the bottom bracket is gone. I noticed this the other day. I am not sure how I am going to get that broken bolt out without damaging the threads. The reason I mention this is that my crank is clicking every time I complete one rotation of the crank. One can feel the click in the peddle and I am not sure what this means. Considering there is a metal on metal grinding sound coming from crank/bottom bracket, this cant be a good sign. It would probably be best to find a new bolt for the crank. A visit to the bike shop is in order. I'll have them take a look at crank. Maybe I will have them put in a new bottom bracket and a new crank. New parts are always exciting. Any ideas on what I should do?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jeff,

Yuo can use an 'ezy-out' to get the broken bolt out. Ezy-outs (known by many other names) are a screw with a left handed thread. They usually come in a pack of 5 sizes and a cheap ('cause they break). To use - drill a small hole into the center of the broken bolt, then wind the ezy-out into the hole. They're designed for a tap handle - but you can use a spanner if you're careful.